Wednesday 6 September 2017

Back at The Links

The Links Primary School started their CSC curriculum sessions today.


Not only is The Links a significant new addition to our CSC Teesside ensemble, but it also a school with a rich history of chess.

I worked there from 1988-2004 and the school played host to some of my more adventurous schemes, such as the 24-hour fundraising chess marathons, chess discos, Summer, Easter and Christmas schools of chess, plus, of course, the Chess Links Project which saw The Links merge with Teesside High School for a huge range of chess activities as part of a very special, government-funded two-year scheme.

I was also a Governor at the Links for eight years (including four years as Vice-Chair), worked in the school library for two years, created a club for other board games and lots of other things. I even judged the Easter Hat competition one year.

Some weeks I was there every day.

So readers can perhaps understand how many memories were evoked as I walked along the long-familiar paths to this fine school this morning - for the first time in 13 years.

I loved seeing some familiar faces from long ago and meeting lots of people who were new to me.

Some of my new pupils have parents, aunties and uncles who were taught by me back in the 1980s and 1990s.

Days like today serve to remind me how exciting it is to be doing something nobody else can ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment